Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/tdb.class.php on line 881

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/header.php on line 99

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/header.php on line 100
Science and the Movies: Star Trek :: Star Trek Opens ... At Last!

Welcome

Diamond Sky Productions Forum > Science and the Movies: Star Trek > Star Trek Opens ... At Last!
You are not logged in. Login or Register.

Science and the Movies: Star Trek :: Star Trek Opens ... At Last!

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 39

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 40

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 39

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 40

Strict Standards: Non-static method mod_avatar::verify_avatar() should not be called statically in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php on line 81

Warning: file_get_contents(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Non-static method mod_avatar::verify_avatar() should not be called statically in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php on line 81

Warning: file_get_contents(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Author: Topic: Star Trek Opens ... At Last!
 CarolynPorco
 Administrator
Lieutenant

2008-01-26

Posted: May 05, 2009 5:56:32 pm    
Profile homepage email CarolynPorco

Dear Star Trek fans,

At long last, the much anticipated new Star Trek movie, directed by J.J. Abrams, is being released nationwide this coming Friday, May 8.

As some of you may already know, I was invited to be the science consultant on it and as a result have already seen the movie.  To me, it is `Gene Roddenberry meets George Lucas' ... true to the legacy and story of the 1960s TV series, yet completely modern. 

Chances are excellent that many of you will immediately recognize my biggest contribution to this film.  It should be very obvious!  (Another contribution goes by so quickly it will require sitting with the DVD, when it comes out, and going through frame by frame.)

My participation was graciously recognized with a film credit at the end of the movie.  There must be about 10,000 credits to this film, and mine, about two-thirds of the way down, is listed as `Science Consultant', immediately following the `Romulan and Klingon Language Consultant'.

After all, first things first!

I'm anxious to hear what you think about the movie.  Do let us know by posting your comments here.

Carolyn

Carolyn Porco
 CarolynPorco
 Administrator
Lieutenant

2008-01-26

Posted: May 09, 2009 6:34:06 pm    
Profile homepage email CarolynPorco

As the official `science consultant' for this film, I would like to respond to the statements and criticisms made elsewhere on the web about the science of this film.

First, I was brought on to answer questions here and there, when the crew had them, but mostly to help with a particular plot/visualization dilemma as posed to me by the director, Abrams: How to hide the Enterprise when it re-enters the solar system, so that the Romulans don't know it's in the vicinity until too late.

It was my suggestion to have it come out of warp drive in the atmosphere of Titan, and rise up through the haze, submarine style, since I knew it could be made into a very dramatic scene. To my delight and astonishment, Abrams thought the idea was `brilliant' and immediately used it. I was expecting to be asked at some point how to get around the obvious problem that any respectable starship, Federation or Romulan, would have no trouble picking up the presence of an alien ship by other than visual means, but I never was. I didn't realize until seeing the final result for the first time myself only last week that they imagined it could be made invisible by the magnetic field of Saturn's rings. Of course, the rings don't have a magnetic field, and even Saturn's is not very strong -- certainly not as strong as Jupiter's -- and I would gladly have informed them of such had I known.

The diminution of the haze in Titan's uppermost atmosphere would be gradual with increasing altitude, but a sharper boundary makes for a more dramatic scene. And while we're nit-picking, there is yet another matter that's not technically right as far as we know: the upper haze would be horizontally uniform, and at some 200 km above the surface you wouldn't see the effects of convection, like the hummocky, clouds that are depicted in the movie.

Finally, in seeing intermediate stages of the Saturn scene, I noted that Titan was too far above the rings, and suggested that the special effects artists at ILM add in the drama of seeing Saturn and its rings in the background by pulling back and far above Titan, with the camera following the Enterprise as it rises. However, I was told that it was too far a camera move to execute and would take more time than they wanted to allot for this scene.

In the end, even I have to remind myself that this is a movie, and movies need to have visual as well as human drama. And not unlike spaceflight missions, they are big projects that must live within other, far more mundane constraints. It would be a great thing if sufficient will, time and resources could be brought to bear in film-making to make all representations of the world, natural or otherwise, precisely accurate. But then, that is asking the impossible: Remember, if you were physically in the Saturn system, it would be as dark as twilight on Earth. So, even putting a representation of Saturn on the screen so that we could see it with ease is already a violation.

Also, this particular movie is based on a well-established set of futuristic capabilities (warp drive, phasers, transporters, etc) that are certainly, at present, physically impossible and are likely not to be available even 200 years from now. So, we can't all joyously accept one collection of impossibilities, and complain bitterly about another.

From my point of view, it was a wonderful thing that Abrams cared enough about getting things right that he asked for the opinions of a scientist. I've encountered others in Hollywood in the past who did't feel any obligation whatsoever to honor the truth, so the heart of this particular production was exactly in the right place. And I felt gratifed, even triumphant, to see some of our spectacular findings at Saturn depicted on the big screen. Remember: Stanley Kubrick put the monolith in the movie `2001' on a moon of Jupiter, instead of on the Saturnian moon Iapetus where it originally belonged, because he couldn't figure out a way to get Saturn's rings looking right. Well, we don't have *that* problem anymore, now do we?

On a different note, I have to say that I have fallen in love with this movie. The special effects have finally risen to a level of sophistication befitting the saga, there are humorous moments that made me laugh so hard I cried, and the new cast has done an outstanding job capturing the essence of each of the original, oh-so-memorable characters.

As one of the fans from way back in 60's, it warms me to know that with the success of this film, we are looking at the possibility of a new dawn in this beloved epic.

Or put another way ... Star Trek Lives!  And I, for one, am grateful for that.

Carolyn Porco
 DaveGallagher

2008-03-06

Posted: May 12, 2009 9:31:28 pm    
Profile homepage email DaveGallagher

There's plenty in this story to satisfy those who need to find flaw, and plenty for those looking for a good ride... and can you be a Star Trek fan without yearning for both?  I enjoyed knowing more about spaghettification near a singularity, and the limits of the destructive power of a supernova, than the writers appeared to.  As a fan, I like to imagine that I'm in the place of the characters... but even more-so in the place of the writers.

I loved this movie.  I had grown disenchanted with the franchise over the last couple of years.  In fact, "Wrath of Kahn" was the last of the movies that I enjoyed wholeheartedly.  I was seven years old when Star Trek was born, and I'm seven times seven now, but this story and its rendering managed to take me back to the beginning.  It's as though McCoy gave the franchise a stimulating hypospray and its life signs are back where they belong.

I saw the film on an IMAX screen, and I'd suggest that anyone interested in the visuals (and who isn't?) do the same.  I'll buy the DVD on Blu-ray, and a decent Blu-ray player with which to view it, as soon as it's out, and I'll sit it next to "Silent Running" in what will be my "Saturn-related movies" section.  Seeing the Enterprise (and she is BEAUTIFUL!) rising up from the clouds against that backdrop was thrilling.  I'm very pleased that our old friend "Star Trek" has been treated with the care and love that it deserves.

Dave Gallagher