Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/tdb.class.php on line 881

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/header.php on line 99

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/header.php on line 100
Science and the Public Sphere: General :: Getting scientists to engage with the public

Welcome

Diamond Sky Productions Forum > Science and the Public Sphere: General > Getting scientists to engage with the public
You are not logged in. Login or Register.

Science and the Public Sphere: General :: Getting scientists to engage with the public

Strict Standards: Non-static method mod_avatar::verify_avatar() should not be called statically in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php on line 81

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 39

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 40

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 39

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 40

Strict Standards: Non-static method mod_avatar::verify_avatar() should not be called statically in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php on line 81

Warning: file_get_contents(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Author: Topic: Getting scientists to engage with the public
 Barritus

2008-02-13

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 2:04:29 pm    
Profile homepage email Barritus

G'day everyone

I've been a member of my local Skeptic group (Canberra, the capital of Australia) for the last 11 years or so. For those unfamiliar with Skeptics in general, we do what we can to promote critical thinking skills and debunking pseudo-scientific theories in the community.

Many skeptics, like me, have no formal scientific training (for me, nothing beyond Secondary School), but love the idea of science and appreciate the benefits science has brought us. It's this love and appreciation which motivates us to do what we can to promote science. For example, in the last couple of weeks, I've been posting arguments against topics as diverse as September 11 conspiracy theories, intelligent design, the Apollo moon hoax and Nibiru.

But one thing which strikes me is how hard it can be to get many scientists to help in this sort of work. Yes, a lot of skeptics are scientists, but there are a lot of other scientists out there who seem to have little time or interest in debunking pseudo-scientific ideas in their area of expertise.

At the moment, there are people spouting all sorts of rubbish in all sorts of subjects, and while Skeptics and enthusiastic amateurs can do a bit, a few scientists striding boldly into the murky dens of pseudo-science bulletin boards to bell a couple of conspiracy theory cats would make a huge difference.

And posting on bulletin boards isn't the only way to engage people. I had the opportunity to present a talk to a national Archaeology conference last year (I was the only non-archaeologist at the conference!) about pseudo-archaeology and how to combat it (and yes, I know a fair bit about Gavin Menzies's loopy "1421" theories, too). One of the weapons I suggested was fiction. Carl Sagan was a great writer, and Isaac Asimov a great skeptic. Perhaps there are a few more scientists out there who need some encouragement to tell a great story which incidentally also presents science and scientists in a positive light.

CarolynPorco
 Administrator
Lieutenant

2008-01-26

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 3:07:18 pm    
Profile homepage email CarolynPorco

Well said, Barritus.  Being a scientist is very demanding, and most don't have the time to devote to it.  But it IS very important.  I myself try to do it whenever I can.  Please keep up the good work. 

Incidentally, I will be in Canberra, visiting and speaking to/with the Deep Space Network, in early December of this year.  Apparently they will also arrange a public talk for me.  Perhaps I'll see you there.

Carolyn Porco
 Barritus

2008-02-13

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 6:22:33 am    
Profile homepage email Barritus

Thank you for your kind words. And yes, if you're doing a public talk, I'll do what I can to get there.