Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/tdb.class.php on line 881

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/header.php on line 99

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/header.php on line 100
Science and the Public Sphere: General :: Greetings and Introduction

Welcome

Diamond Sky Productions Forum > Science and the Public Sphere: General > Greetings and Introduction
You are not logged in. Login or Register.

Science and the Public Sphere: General :: Greetings and Introduction

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 39

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 40

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 39

Deprecated: Function eregi_replace() is deprecated in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/inc/post.inc.php on line 40

Strict Standards: Non-static method mod_avatar::verify_avatar() should not be called statically in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php on line 81

Warning: file_get_contents(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Warning: file_get_contents(http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1p6tb9aEP1qM1DkHbdmuALvLFVDZNJ1PuE0CP1oor_ko2iOD_1aaz8qp3vuJd2hZAGR0wF92KaYb0oTt672owhgg_ZIzhUDEuEalCxJMcwXj4): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Strict Standards: Non-static method mod_avatar::verify_avatar() should not be called statically in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php on line 81

Warning: file_get_contents(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Warning: file_get_contents(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Warning: file_get_contents(http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1p6tb9aEP1qM1DkHbdmuALvLFVDZNJ1PuE0CP1oor_ko2iOD_1aaz8qp3vuJd2hZAGR0wF92KaYb0oTt672owhgg_ZIzhUDEuEalCxJMcwXj4): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/uhosip/public_html/forum/includes/class/mod_avatar.class.php on line 9

Author: Topic: Greetings and Introduction
 RomanticRationalist

2008-02-23

AIM: skepticguy64@aol.com   MSN: renman82964@msn.com   ICQ: 443196941   Y!: romanticatheist64@yahoo.com

Posted: Feb 24, 2008 5:17:51 am    
Profile homepage email RomanticRationalist

I am new here so I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone.  I am a non-traditional student in an Interdisciplinary Science program with a targeted emphasis on Science Writing and Communication and the Public Understanding of Science.

I hope to go on to grad school at SUNY Buffalo's Science and the Public master's program, which is jointly sponsored by the Center for Inquiry.

I am also a science fiction fan (though I own no costumes and attend no conventions) and think it is so cool that Dr. Porco is planetary and imaging science adviser to the new Trek movie.

Lastly, I have the Cassini picture of a backlit Saturn with a tiny Earth in the upper left corner of the picture as my desktop wallpaper.  I have modified the original image with an arrow pointing to our "pale blue dot" with a caption of "We Are Here!!!!"

K. Mark Northrup
romanticrationalist.blogspot.com/
 CarolynPorco
 Administrator
Lieutenant

2008-01-26

Posted: Feb 24, 2008 4:43:10 pm    
Profile homepage email CarolynPorco

Welcome, RR.  I do hope you engage in the discussions that take place in these DSP forums concerning science and the public.  And I'd love to know what it is they are teaching you, and where you are enrolled in school, in the area of the public understanding of science.  For example, are there surveys done of such things?  How are they teaching you to address the problems?  Etc.

Carolyn Porco
 RomanticRationalist

2008-02-23

AIM: skepticguy64@aol.com   MSN: renman82964@msn.com   ICQ: 443196941   Y!: romanticatheist64@yahoo.com

Last edited by: RomanticRationalist on Feb 25, 2008 12:58:26 am
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 12:55:20 am    
Profile homepage email RomanticRationalist

Dr. Porco, thank you for your interest. My heroes have always been scientists and if one could define a “scientist” as a rational, evidenced-based approach to understanding the world, regardless of what one does to pay the bills, then I hope I would qualify. I also apologize for the length of my post.

I currently attend the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (SDSM&T) in Rapid City, South Dakota, an area not exactly known as a hotbed of 21st century rationalism.  The Interdisciplinary Science (IS) (sdmines.sdsmt.edu/cgi-bin/global/a_bus_card.cgi?SiteID=51204 ) program is something of a catch-all. The section I am under is called “Science, Technology, and Society.” I changed my major to IS after I became disgusted with the level of scientific illiteracy among my fellow engineering students for anything outside the confines of their own field.  I was even more disturbed by how many of my fellow engineering students (and even some faculty) were, in fact, various species of Creationism/ID supporters.

I wish I had glowing reviews to offer of the overall program, but I do not. The IS program is intended to prepare students for a number of fields from Environmental Law to medical school. The emphasis on Science Writing and Communication and the Public Understanding of Science is my own as the program does allow a fair amount of latitude in the student’s focus. With the single exception of my PSYC 101 professor (who, like me, is a member of The Skeptics Society), I have not heard critical thinking, skepticism, or even “double-blind experiment” mentioned in any of my classes.

How can an institution of higher learning hope educate the next generation of scientists if they do not know the difference between science and pseudo-science?  I have taken it upon myself to play the role of a Socrates-like gadfly on campus towards both students and faculty-I just make it a point not to drink any tea that is offered to me….

I am now preparing to start on my senior year “Capstone” project. As you may know, the former Homestake gold mine in Lead (pronounced "Leed"), South Dakota has been chosen as the site of the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory (DUSEL) facility. SDSM&T is heavily involved in this effort and the whole state hopes for great improvements in science education, and education in general, at both the k-12 level and in state colleges and universities.

I am pleased the NSF has chosen Homestake as the DUSEL site and am very appreciative of the facility’s potential to enlarge the size of our area’s dot on the scientific map.  At the same time, I am concerned because much of the research that will be done at the DUSEL facility will run contrary to the world-view of many South Dakotans. Since my focus is science and public policy, I will examine whether the facility will have the educational payoffs it is expected to in light of the kind of research that will be done at the DUSEL facility given the ideological commitments of the residents. I suspect that many will resist mightily the deeper implications of the work.  I will be asking some very uncomfortable, yet necessary, questions and I expect and in no small way, actually hope, to embarrass and anger some people.

K. Mark Northrup
romanticrationalist.blogspot.com/